ImageThink Field Trip: Beacon, NY
January 9, 2013
Last month, as we were wrapping up this very busy and productive year, we decided that a team retreat was in order. We blocked off two days to spend looking back at our year and creating goals and plans for 2013. We found a perfect spot for our team retreat in Beacon, New York — just 60 miles north of New York City in the scenic Hudson Valley. Kelly, our marketing director and one of our graphic recorders, lives there and connected us with a space at BEAHIVE, a local coworking space. We spent a couple days diving deep into what we’ll make happen in the coming year, as well as enjoying a little of the local flavor in Beacon. Beacon makes a great day trip or weekend away from the city, and has a lot to offer year round. Kelly put together this list of her favorite Beacon places to help you plan your own visit.
Things to See & Do
- DIA: Beacon Located in a former Nabisco box-printing factory, the Dia Art Foundation’s collection of contemporary sculpture from 1960 to present includes works by Dan Flavin, Andy Warhol and Richard Serra’s monumental steel Torqued Ellipses.
- Scenic hikes Surrounded by Hudson Highlands parkland and bordered by a mountain and a river, Beacon is a great starting point for fabulous hiking. From the summit of Mt. Beacon (once home to the world’s steepest incline railway) to the ruined brickworks and river beaches of Denning’s Point, there’s a hike for every taste.
- Riverfest and Winterfest These two music festivals — one in the summer on the riverfront and another indoor event in March — bring together musicians of all kinds from the Hudson Valley and beyond.
Dine & Drink
- Breakfast at Quinn’s This vintage luncheonette is a local favorite and it’s always filled with regulars. Make sure to sample the French toast made with the homemade bread.
- Lunch at Homespun The go-to place for great sandwiches, soups, salads and quiche — specials change daily and quality is always excellent. Consider yourself especially lucky if the special of the day is the pork banh mi.
- Dinner at SWIFT Part of the Roundhouse at Beacon Falls, a boutique hotel and spa, SWIFT specializes in inventive, eclectic cuisine in an elegant sitting that includes a view of Beacon falls through wraparound, floor-to-ceiling windows.